-tonywilk-


Petter Type A Series 1 petrol engine
Some pictures of the engine as we found it at our new (old) house...

It's a compressor set, complete with corroded tyre inflator attachment.
I wouldn't be keen on running the compressor into that rusty receiver, but it would be nice to get the engine running.

Paul Evans of the Internal Fire Museum identified the engine for me... it's a Petter Type A Series I petrol engine.



At first I didn't notice there was an engine plate 'cos it was all painted over - took *ages* to restore it to anything like a reasonable condition:
...

I'm quite pleased with the result given that there was little left of the plate once I'd got all that red paint off.

There was one little piece next to the rivet hole which had remnants of silvering and a bit of black so I guess it was originally all silver on black.
There was nothing left of the silvering anywhere else (was it originally plated or tinned?)... anyhow, I nickel plated it.
Luckily there was still some relief to the lettering so I could spray the whole thing then emery down to metal for most of it

Looking up the serial number: 312167 at OldEngine.org it may be Petrol/TVO dating from around 1944


I know nothing about old engines but I like to think I can fix just about anything, anyhow, it was still oily (with old fuel in the tank) and didn't look in too bad nick - in fact it looked like a bit of a challenge ;-)

After oiling it in every oriface over a couple of days I set about it... a little gentle persuasion revealed that it wasn't completely seized. After the initial sticking, the flywheel rotates freely (with the plug removed) apart from a bit of a resistance and then an alarming KLONK! every rev or two

Thought I'd start with the spark, so I took off the magneto, cleaned it out and fettled the points - it took a while to figure out what the impulse mechanism was for (after a quick web search) and why it had been going KLONK! when I turned the flywheel. It eventually gave nice and even sparks when I ran it off my battery drill and winding up the impulse mechanism gives a nice fat spark.

Rest of the engine is now mostly in bits...

Here's some other views:







This next picture shows detail of the only identification marks I found on the engine before realising there was a paint-covered engine plate on the head cover




The compressor has a "HEC Products" logo on both sides, I suspect the hole at the top was where the input air filter should be
(The pan's keeping misc. nuts and bolts, in case you were wondering!).




Back to Machines index

email: mail at tonywilk.co.uk

[Last modified: 5th Oct 2007]